Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Marin/Mom special weekend

My firstborn turned 13 earlier this year, did you know? What a day, what a day... In our extended family, there has been a recent tradition of doing a family gathering of women when a girl turns 12. I have had the privilege to be part of that with both my nieces.

As Marin was approaching 12, I was praying about how I could bless her, and impart the same heart to my daughter, that had been imparted to my nieces. Somehow I knew that with Marin's personality, it would need to look different than theirs. As her 12th birthday came and went, I expanded my horizons to her 13th year, and I guess, to be honest, I was actually waiting for God to reveal to me how and when exactly to create a special moment. Then her 13th birthday came and went in January, and still, I searched and waited for the right opportunity.

In a moment of clarity in the spring, it came to me. Marin's love language is "Quality Time" and one thing that she dislikes is too much "gushing", so in order to honor her in a way she could receive, I asked her grandmothers, aunties and some close family friends to write her a letter and I made her a book! I hope this book will bless her even more down the road than it might at the moment she first laid eyes on it.

And, in conjunction, this summer, I took Marin on a 2-night /3-day mom-daughter trip to the beach, we stayed in the cutest, oldest, tiniest 8 room seaside motel (it even had kitties) in Cannon Beach. The timing was also perfect, as it happened during a sweet spot in our relationship (did you know adolescence, and middle age for that matter, can be tricky? ha)

She made her own campfire on the beach after dark, we visited and tried every inch of gluten-free food that this town had to offer (which is a lot thankfully!), we talked, we played games, we strolled the beach, we prayed together, she shared her dreams for the future, I told her some of the amazing qualities I see in her, and we basically just enjoyed each other. It was exactly what the time needed to be, and this is why I trust the Lord to show me the way (for this trip, but also in parenting in general)... It's hard to know what exactly your child needs, or if you are getting it right. I'm so thankful God blessed our time and we have such special memories.

PS. the book turned out SO special! Words that will speak to her long past today.

Love my sweet baby!!

Our cute motel













She asked to take the enneagram test!










My favorite picture of the weekend




No comments: