Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Reading Rewards

This summer, I was looking for a way to keep the kids excited about reading... Both girls ended the school year on a super high note, really excited about their progress and I wanted to keep the momentum going into the summer months. So I made a little reading reward system, each of the older kids has a reading chart with several boxes to fill in. When they fill up a chart, they get to choose a reward from "the list". Max got to check off a box if he sat and listened to a story from a sister, and each girl got to check off a box if they read a book aloud. Marin much prefers reading silently so she earned a check for every 1 out-loud book, or for every 2 silent chapters in one of her books. The reward list included things like "a secret surprise gift from mom", a trip to get ice cream, a trip to get Starbucks treats, a trip to the pool for swimming, a playdate with a friend, other fun activities... The funny thing is my kids must all be very gifty, because they all kept choosing the secret gift :) After about 5 or 6, I ran out! So the next best choice was ice cream... Here I am with my three olders, enjoying the spoils of a delicious week of reading!
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: