Thursday, June 2, 2016

Madeline gets baptized

Our precious Madeline Marie approached us a few months ago, saying that she really wanted to get baptized. Her big sister Marin did this in the fall, and back then her feeling was "no way I'm doing that anytime soon! that's too many people to get up in front of!" - but her feelings were starting to change, and she wanted to take this big brave step herself. I say it's a big, brave step because she does not like being the center of attention, or have all eyes on her. The size of our big church means that nothing is a small event, so she was remembering the hundreds of people at Marin's baptism. Thankfully, our church takes this process seriously with the kids by doing a 6 week class/workbook, and they give lots and lots of time to explore the subject, help the child examine their hearts, consider if they feel ready, and empower them to overcome fears (like stage fright) in order to publicly declare personal faith in Jesus.

It was really special and important that Maddie's journey be unique, it is her personal faith story after all. In life, she is going to see Marin do lots of new things, and perhaps just want to follow in them as habit. I was very pleased and proud of her, that she didn't just automatically do what big sister did. Her story is very different, her approach is different, and at the tender age of 8 years old, she really can articulate what a relationship with Jesus means to her. I love that. It makes my heart sing, actually!!!

So, she invited me to come in the baptism tank with her and her pastor, as our friends and family joined in witness to the AWESOME things God is doing in Madeline's life. This is not the end of her story, but just the beginning! I am so thankful for all that God is doing in the hearts of my children.



Psalm 32:7 (Maddie's favorite verse)

You are my hiding place.

You will keep me safe from trouble.

You will surround me with songs sung by those who praise you because you save your people.










The girls' teacher Ms Angal gave them these custom necklaces
with their personal verses printed. What an indescribable gift.



God's precious daughter

No comments: