Monday, March 25, 2013

Earrings

This is a story of a happy mommy moment. Those special times you  just love being a mom and watching your children grow and change.
 
My sweetie pie Marin turned seven in January. Her auntie Jessica sent her a gift card to Claire's for her birthday, and the first thing out of her mouth was "Oh yay Mommy!! I want to get my ears pierced!!" We have said the girls can get their ears pierced when they turn eight, so we gently reminded her that she was only seven. I think she had forgotten, ha ha!
 
She looked highly disappointed, but said "okay mom, i understand... but i really REALLY want to use my gift card for ear piercing, so i will save it until i turn eight". I encouraged her to use her gift card for some other fabulous thing at Claire's, and assured her we would pay for her ear piercing when she turned eight. But she was adamant about wanting to use THIS gift card for it, and was going to save it for an entire year. Several days passed, and she did not change her tune. She was incredibly mature about it, having to wait all that time, and not bugging us to change our minds! I was pleasantly surprised, I'm sure I would have bugged my parents at that age :)
 
So after a few more days, Kyle and I decided to do something unprecedented. We (gasp!) changed our rule. We took the opportunity at the dinner table one night, to express our admiration at how mature she was being, and how proud we were at the grown-up girl she was becoming. And after making several points that we don't plan on changing "rules" very often, we surprised her with the big news "YOU CAN GET YOUR EARS PIERCED NOW!!!"... She was soooooo shocked and excited!! 
 
I know it's not the same as surprising your kid with a trip to Disneyland, but for me it was still fabulous. Mommy Joy :)
 
She chose small daisy earrings, and despite her excitement, was getting pretty nervous once she witnessed toddler in line before us screaming after her turn. But she was a rock star and toughened up enough to get through. Not one tear! Beautiful moment, beautiful girl.
 
The best part was later that day... She gave me a very stern look (this will be her "Mommy Look" in later years), and said to me in a lecturing tone "Mom, that hurt WAY more than you told me it would"... I am still cracking up :) I felt kind of guilty, with that serious look and all.
 
I love her!
 
 
 
 

No comments: