Monday, September 7, 2015

Max/Mom date: all the fun things

My next special date was with Max - it was a cornucopia of activity (I like to say fun words like that, it comes from my Dad). We had a super, super special day with a long list of specific things he wanted to do together. I love nothing more than pouring quality time into my child!! So, the day went as follows:

- Max had his kindergarten assessment/open house at school... early in the morning, the two of us woke up, grabbed a hash brown, and arrived at school at 8am, where he got the full introduction to life as a kindergartner... we even got to do a scavenger hunt together around the school (to find the bathroom, library, gym, cafeteria, etc...) - he is looking like a big boy to me now :) A highlight for Max was exploring the school library, he was SO excited at the thought of all these books available to him! 

- Next stop was the zoo gift shop... Yes that 's right, even though we have a zoo membership, we did not actually go to see the animals. Max has been dreaming for several months of being able to get a stuffed animal from the zoo gift shop. It is just this thing he is fixated on, and so of course I had to make that little dream come true. Lucky for him, it was 2-for-1 day, so he walked out with TWO new animals (turtle and polar bear). Happy, happy, happy boy. According to him, you can never have enough stuffed animals.

- Main attraction: a day together at Alderbrook park... We first visited this amazing place with our school friends earlier this summer, when I took the girls. Max and I went on a much colder day, so I was anticipating slightly different activities, but to my surprise, he wanted to do it all (INCLUDING SWIMMING IN THE FREEZING COLD OUTDOOR POOL). 

Being the cool mom that I am, I once again told myself (and Max) that I would do absolutely anything he wanted to do, including a polar bear swim, and we were going to have the most fun doing it. I AM ALL IN. So, we jumped on the bounce houses for 2 hours, played 4 complete rounds of mini-golf (where Max made up the rules as we went along), drank a gallon of pink lemonade from the drinking fountain, rode on the train, drove the paddleboat all around the lake, fed the fish, stomped through the creek with our clothes and tennis shoes, played beach volleyball, and ate french fries and cotton candy for lunch. And let's not forget... we swam in the freezing cold pool, and pretended we were stranded on a desert island. This game went on for at least an hour, and I survived the chilling experience with a smile on my face. (Praying for survival during each moment).

- We ended the day with a cozy, warm meal together on the drive home. His tank was full, and both our hearts were happy. I love him so. 

Side note: I could tell about halfway through our time at the park, it was finally kicking in that he could do WHATEVER HE WANTED. Being #3 in the birth order, he just doesn't get many chances to be the leader. It took a little warming up to get his mind wrapped around this. It was really fun to watch him start to open up, and race from place to place, just enjoying the freedom of the day. I think his pace picked up tenfold towards the end, just wanting to pick "one more thing" before they closed the place down.

I will never forget these special moments we are having this summer. Filling up my mommy heart!

















Note the empty pool.



It looks warm out, it is not warm out.
This is where I question why it's so
important that I be a cool mom.
Max does not feel the pain :)








Me and Lovie.

No comments: