Saturday, January 4, 2014

A girl of many talents

Marin is really starting to enjoy exploring new skills & talents... She takes after Kyle's perfectionistic nature, but we are drilling into her to strive for excellence, not perfection (a friend of mine taught me this mantra!) ~ I am pleased to see her willing to try many new things, and not give up even if it is difficult at first.
 
~ Piano: Lately we started both girls in piano lessons, and Marin is really the one loving it so far. She decided she wanted to participate in the Christmas recital (after only a few weeks of lessons), and was madly practicing "Deck the Halls" to be ready in time. Unfortunately, the recital got cancelled due to the teacher's family emergency, however I am still proud of her for being willing to try something new!
 
 
~ Reading: this is not a new skill I guess, but I am constantly astonished and happy to see how she devours books and absorbs so much of what she reads. I pray that God's word will soak into her heart and soul as she begins to explore it. There was nothing more sweet to my ears, than the sound of her reading the Advent scriptures each Sunday this Christmas season. She read it to us from her own Bible, and the section in particular where I was literally wiping away tears, listening to her sweet voice, was:

Luke 1:77-79

77 You will tell his people how they can be saved.
    You will tell them that their sins can be forgiven.
78 All of that will happen because our God is tender and caring.
    His kindness will bring the rising sun to us from heaven.
79 It will shine on those living in darkness
    and in the shadow of death.
It will guide our feet on the path of peace.”

 
 
~ Crocheting/Knitting: we got her a load of yarn, a set of crochet needles & a how-to book for Christmas, and she is taking off with it. My sister got her a kids knitting set as well. Everyone who has seen her in the last two weeks has been a recipient of some sort of yarn craft from her. Kyle has been the one to get her started, and walk her through the steps. When I try to do it, I just get lost (see I am not a perfectionist, I am just impatient - ha!)... They have made a good team, and it's fun to see the things she is creating with her Daddy's help.
 
~ Sewing: we are little by little working on our sewing skills. I am a novice, capable of basic skills with my machine, or by hand. I try to give both girls opportunities to help me mend something or work with a needle. Even though it didn't require much actual sewing, we made some handmade gifts this year, for our cousin gift exchange, and Marin was my #1 helper in making these "no-sew" blankets. She was pretty proud of her hard work!
 
I love my crafty girl!!
 

No comments: